WMBA.ORG

Westchester Mountain Bike Association
It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 11:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:35 pm 

Fellow riders,

I posted some info pertaining to some hiking and biking trails that are
accessible on the E side of the pkwy in the Wheels Down forum. There I mentioned a proposal to construct a new overpass with on/off ramps to safely cross this section of the parkway. The D.O.T. has the funding and need to establish a schedule.

This will allow for greater recreational opportunities for riders to do a loop on Fahnestock trails from Rt. 301, and for riders to get from Kent to Wiccopee Reservoir.

If you wish to comment on this proposal or hear more about it, please attend the Friday, Aug 19th meeting with the D.O. T. , local leaders and Senator Sue Serino at the Putnam Valley H.S. at 6 PM.

There is a set of commercialbldgs that served as a bar, restaurants, etc. that may or may not remain. What a key location for a sport shop that focuses on hiking, bikes, winter sports, fishing, kayaking, SUP, etc. if the overpass comes to fruition. The lack of one led to the
closure of every business that opened here.

Please spread the word!

Sam

http://pubfiles.nysenate.gov/crm/serino/view/53ad2d38cdc043e4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:43 am 

Thanks for making this initiative public, I'm sure many were not aware of it. I will cross-post this to the Facebook group for WMBA to reach more (potentially interested and available) riders.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:29 pm 

Fantastic! I'll try to be there.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:21 am 

awesome, thanks guys!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:29 pm 

Letters can be sent in before Sept. 2nd to Carolyn Ryan of the DOT

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 1.02 MiB | Viewed 1973 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:07 pm 

So I read in the local paper the other day that this was approved and is going to happen. Great news!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:08 am 

gravitylover wrote:
So I read in the local paper the other day that this was approved and is going to happen. Great news!

Process has been made, and final public commentary period is over.

I just rode a new section yesterday, and marked my route so I wouldn't get lost. Found 2 small loops that reward you with a fast descent over 2' rock and ledge drops on a washed out road in the deep oak-hickory forest where in 11 years of being here, only saw 6 people hiking, riding ATVs, or walking their dogs.

I like this section better than across on the West side of the parkway. Simply because the hills are not as grueling and the descents are faster and have more flow. I just have to find the linkage between two sections which will really open this place up for continuous riding.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:06 am 

I have copied this from the Wheels Down forum. As per my note below, who are some "officials" I can contact from WMBA and other MTB associations that might be interested and willing to help build, maintain, and blaze trails at some new state-acquired property in Putnam Valley?

Please PM me, thanks!

"This is the PDF of the area in question that I literally just got from NYSParks. However, it is not an easy place to navigate, and if my flagging tape is down or removed, one can get seriously lost back there. So I wouldn't recommend going at it alone. It is public domain so I feel I should share it, but ride at your own risk!

I wrote on the map 25 Brookside Ave as a trailhead (you may see green tape here and there) or the trailhead opposite 130 & 132 Pudding Street. I would recommend parking at the abandoned stores on Pudding just off the parkway, and riding to 25 Brookside. Follow the trail up to Moose Hill (dotted line to red line), continue past the stars (stone portals) to mile marker 26.6. Turn around and past the portals & take the second right (look for pink flagging tape) to follow the red line up and then down to 130/132 Pudding.

The good news is that the trail planning division in Albany is serious about increasing parking at one of the trailheads and knows about my interest in developing the trail system. The lead trail builder for the NY/NJ trail conference would like to know if there are a MTB groups that are willing to help build multi-use trails, so I'm going to post this in the Chit Chat forum too. They are concerned about ATV use here, so actually want to develop good trails to encourage more non-motorized users to explore here.

In case you weren't familiar, the blue dotted line across the parkway is the Roaring Brook Trail that leads from Peekskill Hollow Rd. to the campground at Fahnestock."

Attachments:
HYH Fahnestock map.jpeg
HYH Fahnestock map.jpeg [ 1.18 MiB | Viewed 1702 times ]