WMBA.ORG

Westchester Mountain Bike Association
It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fire at Blue Mountain
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:39 pm 

I wanted to post this to make riders aware. I do not know what areas have been affected.
http://www.lohud.com/story/news/crime/2 ... /93363126/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:42 pm 

CORTLANDT - Police are investigating a suspicious fire that burned as much as 10 acres of a county park and torched construction equipment being used to wrap up work on the Spectra pipeline.
Kieran O'Leary, spokesperson for the Westchester County police, said fire departments from Montrose, Croton, Millwood, Peekskill and Continental Village battled a blaze in the Blue Mountain Reservation in the northwest part of the county from about 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday.
He said there were no injuries but seven to 10 acres of a wooded, dirt access road in the 1,538-acre park went up in flames and two pieces of construction equipment were destroyed.
The access road, called Seasonal Road, is about half a mile away from the main road of Washington Street in Cortlandt and typically used by people riding mountain bikes.
he construction equipment, O'Leary said, was being used to complete the beautification and restoration phase of the Spectra pipeline development in the area. The pipeline, itself, has already been installed.
Spectra Energy's Algonquin Incremental Market (AIM) Project would carry more natural gas north from Pennsylvania to New England by replacing parts of the pipeline and running a new section through Stony Point, under the Hudson River and into Verplanck and near Indian Point in Buchanan.
It's been a controversial project and the source of several protests because of its proximity to the nuclear power plant and potential environmental impacts.
O'Leary said there's nothing, as of now, to suggest the pipeline and the fire are related, but the incident is considered suspicious and is being looked into by arson investigators from Westchester and Nassau counties.
As of now, he said police don't know what caused the fires or if they started from the equipment and spread to the wooded area or vice versa.
"What we know is construction equipment wouldn't just catch fire by itself, especially when they haven't been used in a day or so," O'Leary said.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:00 am 

Unaware of yesterday morning's fire, I set out for a short ride at blue. I Came upon the scorched earth on rambler,still smoldering in spots! First the pipeline work and now a fire, what a year this has been for poor blue mountain.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:31 am 

I too saw some of this. About 9:30am Sat. climbing up lower stinger and smelled smoke. Just over the first pipeline crossing (nice switchback work there now, thanks!) and I see plumes of smoke emanating from ground spots, tons of emergency vehicles, 2 torched contractions vehicles, and buttload of emergency personnel. I believe the started (attempting) to close some trails and were truing riders back from climbing into that area (though on my way out we had not trouble coming back through.) Really eerie riding through that section.

Nonetheless, scary shit.