WMBA.ORG

Westchester Mountain Bike Association
It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:27 pm 

Just stumbled across this site, thanks for letting me join. I probably have met some of you who work at the LBS around here.

Anyway, I live in the Roaring Brook Lake district of Putnam Valley and am lucky to live adjacent to some of the Fahnestock trails. I usually ride from my house to the trails on the east side of the TSP, and there are some relatively new ones (now that members of the community fought a CA developer from blasting bedrock and destroying sensitive oak-hickory habitat for new homes, Scenic Hudson purchased the land to be granted to NYS Parks). This section runs parallel to the northbound side of the TSP between Peekskill Hollow Rd. and connects to the California Hill multi-use property near Kent.

In my 10 years of living here, I've yet to come across a MTBer, and only a few people on ATVs (not allowed on Fahnestock property but prob. are on other state land & Taconic S.P. commission owned land). The trails are virtually all rock gardens with lots of ups. I've bashed my rear mech and developed flats a number of times, and if I fell and concussed no one would find me (well coyotes, bears, and bobcats would).

I've read on other forums that the issue is that most trails here are not loops, but there seems to be a lot of potential. My ass gets kicked each and everytime but if I start from the west side of the TSP on Wiccopee Road on the Roaring Brook Trail and ride up to the campground, cross over the parkway on 301 and enter NYCDEP powerline trails (I have a permit; same one to access reservoirs for fishing), I can get home within a few hours.

I haven't been to Ninham since I only got a real FS bike last year, so most of my riding has been near home with a few forays to Blue, Granite Springs system, and 909 years ago. If anyone wants to check these out, I'd be happy to show them as long as your patient with me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:24 am 

Welcome! I'd definitely be interested in a tour of the place. Are the trails you speak of fire roads or singletrack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:56 am 

You should come out to Blue this Sunday and join in some group rides to see some trails and check out some vendors/bikes!

http://wmba.org/?p=1067

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:48 am 

patnugent wrote:
You should come out to Blue this Sunday and join in some group rides to see some trails and check out some vendors/bikes!

YES!! more info here: http://bestbikefest.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:37 pm 

I'm interested as well. I'll gladly give you a detailed tour of Blue in return.

Adam

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:30 pm 

Fahnestock has only been open to bikes about a year (other than the AT) so I think many members would be interested in a tour. I know I would!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:27 pm 

patnugent wrote:

Cool, looks like fun. I took a half day and went to Berlin, CT to test out some Kona bikes today, so now my weekend begins with soccer and baseball coaching duties.

@ Nyranger, Christian & Lifeofloon: How about I set up a group ride date for a weekend after July 4th? With school closing out and vacation that week, my schedule will be more open after July 11th.

There is a bunch of abandoned stores off the Pudding Street exit (northbound) owned by one person, and people seem to park there w/o hassle. That would be a good place to meet. The politicians and DOT promised us an overpass to break ground by 2018; we'll see. The intersection is dangerous with cars going 70 mph+, but I've crossed there safely to access Fahnestock's Roaring Brook Trail (south to Peekskill Hollow Rd or north past Stillwater Lake to Fahnestock campground).

The campground would be another place to park and ride south, or at the Sunken Mine Road lot & take this gravel road down to the left fork towards the Durland Scout camp and exit at North Shore Rd. The right fork takes one through a chunky rock garden to exit at Bell Hollow Rd. But you don't want to go back uphill the way you came unless your legs and cardio are up to snuff!

Anyhow, for safety's sake exploring the trails on east side of the parkway would be plenty of ground to cover. To answer one of the questions, some are 4x4 truck /fire roads, powerlines, but most are trails cut by ATVs that I use. One trail would be nice mini-DH course that already has some boulders that can be shaped into some nice boost features. Would be great to mark the trails and also add them to an app.

How do I know this? My first time out on the unmarked trails, I took a ride with one bar, 12 oz. water, and an energy gel and gave myself 2 hrs which I thought would be enough time to come home and get my son from daycare. Long story short, I ended up getting lost 6 miles away with severe leg cramps. I left my phone at home so I borrowed a stranger's phone to text my wife to get my son, and I limped back home 4 hours later. I thought I would have to stay overnight due to the cramps and lack of water and food. Since then, I always carry my phone, bought a hydration backpack, and a water filter for stream use. :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:59 pm 

Man you make this sound more and more fun. I'm still down for wanting a tour unfortunately I am going to be gone for the first three weeks of July. The wife and I got ourselves on a Grand Canyon rafting trip. When we get back though I'm in.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:55 am 

Certainly is a bunch of potential.
Mtb'ers got permission a # of years ago to propose new trails on the east side of TSP, but no one moved with it -this is the first news Ive heard
Ive also not heard of F-stock being "open to bikes for just a year".
Don't promote the Scout Camp trails, private property and bike haters
There's long rides from Hubbard Lodge on Rt 9
And Dennytown rd lot off 301
And Pelton Pond lot
More, just explore for fk sake its 15k acres
Marking trails w/o permission is going to set back bike access
Yield to hikers, no bikes on the Appalachian Trail
ImageP5140032a by pedaler845, on Flickr
ImageP5140010a by pedaler845, on Flickr
ImageP5140005a by pedaler845, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:39 pm 

Pedaler845 those trails look good, are there any trail maps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:45 pm 

You have to buy them from the NY/NJ Trail Conference.
Unlike most trails on public land like 909 where we give maps away :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:14 am 

I'd love to see a tour of these trails as well!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:03 am 

Pedaler845 wrote:
You have to buy them from the NY/NJ Trail Conference.
Unlike most trails on public land like 909 where we give maps away :o

They're not online like so many of the NYNJTC maps? bummer...

I know there are trails out of that Dennytown Rd lot but never ridden them. I'd love a tour.

I need to spend time riding with you buddy :wink: You are the beta king!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:55 pm 

Been away for a while, not to mention dealing with a painful foot issue, but I think I'm good to go this weekend. A morning ride would be my preference so I can hang with my family the rest of the day. Is Sat or Sun better for anyone?

I think Adam may be still on vacation, so I can organize a second outing for when he returns.

I don't think I have sufficient posts / privileges to use send PMs yet, but maybe I can receive some when the time to get some cell #s is close.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:56 pm 

Erratum, I need to change my availability for Sat AM to Sat mid afternoon or Sunday. Currently Sun looks like a wash but it's still very early.