WMBA.ORG

Westchester Mountain Bike Association
It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:40 pm 

Hi everyone,

For those who are interested, I will be happy to take you around some of the trails east of the Taconic State Parkway, east of the Pudding Street exit. This is the small intersection between Peekskill Hollow Road and Route 301.

There is a group of vacant stores with a large parking lot where we can meet at 3 PM. I would recommend wearing bright clothing in case some drunk hunter is trigger happy.

I marked a nice loop with flagging tape, and notified the asst. park supt. about it (he was cool with it). The trails are very rocky & hilly, and there's a fun but nasty rock garden that leads to an old stone cellar structure, and an abandoned girl scout camp near the powerlines in there. The last leg down is a really fun descent with a number of small drop-offs leading back towards the parking lot.

If my legs haven't cramped up by then, I can take you to another nearby trail system off old Dicktown Road (I didn't name it :oops: ).

Please PM me to exchange cell numbers and check this thread for updates. Hope to see some riders on Sunday!

Sam

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:03 am 

I'm not quite there yet. Doc has recommended stay out of the woods until December. I have had a few easy cruises onto some trails, but keeping it cool for now. I will definitely be interested soon.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:45 pm 

Any chance for lil' earlier start??

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:55 pm 

Farty Fartmeister wrote:
Any chance for lil' earlier start??

I would prefer that myself, but the wife and kid want to go apple picking and then to lunch. So realistically, I think 3 is a safe bet. I might be able to be at the meeting place by 2:45 but I doubt much earlier than that.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:01 pm 

OK. I'll try. So where are we meeting ?? Coming from south.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:25 pm 

Meeting place is the vacant store plg lot as soon as you get off the
Pudding St. exit. If you pm me your cell I can text you if I can get there earlier.

Sam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:01 am 

Where is a trailhead ? I may get there earlier and explore a little??

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:15 pm 

I don't remember the house number to identify it and it will be very hard to find since it is not marked. Either way I am ahead of schedule so please send me a text;I gave you mine via PM.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:19 pm 

New time : 2:00 PM Today

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:25 pm 

Would love to explore these trails sometime. Do you have a map? I can ride from my house....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:59 pm 

Veloraptor,

This is the PDF of the area in question that I literally just got form NYSParks. However, it is not an easy place to navigate, and if my flagging tape is down or removed, one can get seriously lost back there. So I wouldn't recommend going at it alone. It is public domain so I feel I should share it, but ride at your own risk!

I wrote on the map 25 Brookside Ave as a trailhead (you may see green tape here and there) or the trailhead opposite 130 & 132 Pudding Street. I would recommend parking at the abandoned stores on Pudding just off the parkway, and riding to 25 Brookside. Follow the trail up to Moose Hill (dotted line to red line), continue past the stars (stone portals) to mile marker 26.6. Turn around and past the portals & take the second right (look for pink flagging tape) to follow the red line up and then down to 130/132 Pudding.

The good news is that the trail planning division in Albany is serious about increasing parking at one of the trailheads and knows about my interest in developing the trail system. The lead trail builder for the NY/NJ trail conference would like to know if there are a MTB groups that are willing to help build multi-use trails, so I'm going to post this in the Chit Chat forum too. They are concerned about ATV use here, so actually want to develop good trails to encourage more non-motorized users to explore here.

In case you weren't familiar, the blue dotted line across the parkway is the Roaring Brook Trail that leads from Peekskill Hollow Rd. to the campground at Fahnestock.

Good luck, hope this image goes through...

Attachments:
HYH Fahnestock map.jpeg
HYH Fahnestock map.jpeg [ 1.18 MiB | Viewed 3672 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:29 pm 

Aha that's very interesting - thanks! I usually ride on the other side of the Taconic - in from Wicopee (which I always called Pudding...), and into Fahnestock. Also the California wilderness area loooks promising....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:39 pm 

Here's another map that shows the connection to California Hill M.U.A.. According to my park contacts, traversing the power lines is not an issue and these are not NYCDEP land on this side of Pudding Street.

Attachments:
HYH trails 20161022 JM.jpeg
HYH trails 20161022 JM.jpeg [ 1.97 MiB | Viewed 3646 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:35 pm 

I've been exploring an area of fahnestock that I thought was the area they were going to open to mountain biking. I entered it from 301 and there were old horse trails marked with blazes. Runs along the power lines. Plenty of potential. Will this area be legal to trails?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:30 am 

5 years (or so) ago at the Fstock UMP draft meeting that area was specifically mentioned by the former land manager for biking trail construction. At that meeting all of Fstock east of the TSP was discussed for trail development.

California Hill is almost a blank slate.

Lots of potential here with great terrain.