WMBA.ORG

Westchester Mountain Bike Association
It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Williams Lake = HARD!
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:48 pm 

This weekend the NICA race is on the old Williams Lake Hotel grounds in Rosendale so we were there to pre ride today. All I have to say is WOW! Rocks, rocks, more rocks and a few roots thrown in just to keep it interesting. There are some of the toughest moves ever and pedal placement is critical in so many spots. Some of the narrowest v shaped notches, sometimes hundreds of feet long, that I think I've ever ridden. Thankfully most of the climbs are relatively short but damn they hurt. It's a neat spot with all of the old limestone mining relics and the Walkill Valley Rail Trail runs right through the middle of it. There are caves all over the place with icy cold air blowing out of them and there is one huge one with a trail right through it that the race course uses.

I'd say if you get a chance to check the place out DO IT. I thought I was gonna blow up a few times, came out thoroughly exhausted and will make a point of going back some time when the weather is cooler so I can put some miles in and really check the place out. Just to bring it around to fit in this subforum, there was a race there last weekend that I hope some of you participated in and if not you should pay attention to the schedules in the future and see what you can do to enter one there.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm 

To add to this -
Apparently they are knocking down the "ruins" of the old resort and building a new Adventure Resort with a focus on mt biking, trail running and assorted water sport and outdoor activities. It sounds like a mt bike race center will be a primary focus so the trail network will be really built out. This should dovetail nicely with what's going on a few minutes north of there in the Roundtop area and what's going on in the Catskills at Windham.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:51 pm 

My son and I volunteered as marshals, and yes, I can confirm those were tough trails, particually because all the roots & rocks were covered with a wet glaze of mud from all the rain and bombardment of tires. It was slippery and sketchy, and I hammered through, overconfidently and banged up my shin pretty badly as a result - in under 1/2 mile of riding! Kudos to all the young adults who braved the conditions and finished the race in the rain. Lots of character built this weekend at Williams Lake!!